- 02-May-2014 to 29-May-2014 (PST)
- Glendale, CA, USA
- Full Time
Job Title: Medical Assistant/Authorizations
Reports To: Clinical Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Summary: Assists in examination and treatment of patients under direction of Clinical Manager and Physician by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Interviews patients, measures vital signs, such as pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, weight, and height, and accurately records information on patients' charts without spelling errors.
• Prepares treatment rooms for examination of patients.
o Assists in completion of forms required prior to examination
o Obtains consent forms for the physician
o Set up procedure trays
o Arrange trash and biohazard cans within reach.
o Notifies physician when patient is ready
• Drapes patients with covering and positions instruments and equipment.
• Hands instruments and materials to doctor as directed.
• Cleans rooms and sterilizes instruments.
o Scrub down rooms and counter tops, as per policy.
o Cleans, packages and sterilizes instruments and procedure supplies.
o Maintains clean rooms and general patient areas.
o Properly removes biohazard waste.
• Inventories and requests orders for medical supplies and materials.
o Restocks clinical supplies for back office, as assigned.
o Notifies Clinical Manager when an item is running low or the last one is used.
o Brings expired or damaged medications and supplies to the team leader or Clinical Manager's attention, removes them from the patient area and requests re-order.
• Operates electrocardiograph (EKG) and other equipment to administer routine diagnostic test and calls medical facility for results. Routine diagnostic test include:
o Urine dips, pregnancy tests, glucose and hemoglobin tests, peak flow testing, pulse ox, snellen visual tests, audiometry testing, immunizations, and any CLIA waived labs.
• Prepares and administers medications as prescribed by the physician and as allowed by MA certification.
• Labels specimens and prepares them to ship to proper lab.
• Adhere to all policies and procedures. Such as:
o Safety, HIPPA, and OSHA guidelines.
o Maintains patient confidentiality.
• Perform tasks assigned to the team box for physician follow-up; no show letters.
• Perform any other services deemed reasonable by Clinical Manager or Physician.
- Compares medical records to established criteria and confers with medical and nursing personnel and other professional staff to determine legitimacy of treatment.
- Processes referrals for HMO, PPO, EPO, Medi-CAL. Schedules for a patient if urgent/ STAT.
- Contacts providers, or their advisors, when additional information is required.
- Faxes referrals to specialist w/pertinent medical records, answers phones, redirects as needed
- Prints daily approved referrals & mails these to patients with order forms, if needed.
- Trains new physicians in the correct way to complete an initial referral request.
- Maintains accurate up to date and accessible records on authorizations in progress.
- Verifies insurance eligibility & benefits.
- Assists providers & staff with referral questions.
- Directs patients back to the checkout or other areas in the facility.
- Understands and complies with employee handbook and follows the chain of command.
- Responds to requests to participate in quality improvement projects
- Initiates, or seeks out, opportunities to participate in quality improvement projects
- Notifies supervisor of any training needs or questions regarding tasks.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts!